We know the iTunes works well in importing and playing MP4 video files, but you may receive an error sometimes when you try to transfer and play MP4 files to an iPad. In this case, you will need to convert the MP4 file into a compatible format. After that, you can sync your iPad and watch MP4 vidoes on it.
How to Convert MP4 files for iPad with iTunes
1. Launch iTunes on your Mac or PC.
2. Go to “File” in the top menubar, and choose the “Add File to Library” option.
3. In the new Pop-up window. Select the MP4 video file that you want to play on your iPad. Then the iTunes will import the file into your video library.
4. Select to the “Movies” tab on the top left of the iTunes window under the “Library” heading.
5. Click on the thumbnail for the MP4 video file you just imported to highlight it.
6. Go to File > Create New Version > Create iPad or Apple TV Version. The iTunes program will now convert the selected video into a format that is compatible with iPad.
7. Connect and sync your iPad to your computer, and the converted video would be transferred to your iPad.
Use 3rd-party tool to convert any format (MKV, AVI, FLV, etc.) videos for iPad
You can also choose to use a Video Converter to Convert videos for iPad. For example, MKV, AVI, FLV, RMVB, WMV, etc. That would be more easier and faster than using iTunes.
Launch Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, add videos in to program, click output profile on the right and select iPad. Then Click the biggest “Convert” button to start convert video for iPad.